2. South Africa is an ideal destination for adrenaline junkies. Try bungee jumping, paragliding, abseiling, kite surfing, skydiving and many other activities. For a real thrill, try the 216 metre Blourkrans bungee jump, which is the highest commercially available bungee jump in the world.
3. Wine lover? South Africa is famous for its wine production. The Cape Winelands and Stellenbosch are a great visit, with beautiful vineyards and dramatic mountain ranges.
4. Cape Town is a must visit, for culture, food and a vibrant city environment. While you’re there, you can even visit the incredible Table Mountain.
5. The food in South Africa reflects the many different cultures of the country. You can try different kinds of curries, traditional stews, sushi, and try a traditional outdoor braai (barbecue).
6. South Africa is surprisingly good value for money. There’s something for all budgets, from luxurious hotels and restaurants, to more pocket friendly options for those on tighter budgets. South Africa is home to everything from 7 star hotels to backpacking hotels, so it’s easy to find the right option for you.
8. You can go whale watching in South Africa, on boat trips or just from the coast. Hermanus is the best place to see whales swimming in the bay as they migrate to warmer waters.
9. Enjoy the spectacular scenery. Large parts of the country are semi-desert, but you can also see areas that are mountainous, forests, savannahs or amazing coastline. Few countries have as diverse scenery as South Africa.
10. South Africa can be a great pick for a family trip. Hygiene standards are high, and you don’t need to take many medications to visit. Most accommodation will cater for children, and there are some great family activities from safaris to huge play parks.
11. If you’re interested in sport, South Africa is a great spot. South Africa takes its rugby seriously, but also some amazing cricket grounds. If you prefer golf, try your hand at the ‘extreme 19th’ 400-yard- par three at the Legends Golf Course, which involves hitting your shot from a clifftop that has to be reached by helicopter.
12. You can stay in some incredible places, from safari treehouses to a luxury retreat in Nelson Mandela’s former home, to really take your trip over the top.